Benefits of Walking
Stay Well. Care Well. at Spectrum Resort Orlando
Walking is one of the most simple and effective forms of physical exercise, and it has numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. Whether you’re walking around the block, taking a hike in the woods, or just strolling through a park, regular walking can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle and improve your overall well-being.
Physical & Mental Health Benefits of Walking
Like other forms of regular moderate exercise, walking has many cardiovascular benefits: walking improves cardiac risk factors such as cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, vascular stiffness and inflammation, and mental stress.
Walking releases natural pain killing endorphins to the body – one of the emotional benefits of exercise. Studies show that walking can actually improve your mood! What’s more, a brisk 30-minute walk burns around 200 calories and over time, calories burned can lead to pounds dropped. Other benefits of walking for your health include:
- Strengthens your heart
- Helps to lower blood sugar levels
- Eases joint pain
- Boosts immunization
- Boosts energy
- Tones your legs
- Helps you to think creatively
- Can help to extend lifespan
Make Walking Fun
Make walking fun by going to places you enjoy, like a shopping center or park. Bring along someone to chat with, or listen to some of your favorite music (but keep the volume low enough to hear the sounds around you). Walk with others when possible, and take a phone and ID with you.
Tips for Staying Safe While Walking
- Drink plenty of water before and after your walk to stay hydrated.
- Walk in areas designated for pedestrians.
- Look for well-lit areas if possible.
- If walking in the evening or early morning hours, wear reflective gear or a light source so cars can see you.
- Wear sturdy shoes with good heel and arch support.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Wear sunscreen to prevent sunburn, even on cloudy days.